If you are planning a trip to Mozambique in the future please be aware of new road laws. Each vehicle must have two triangles (red reflective type) as well as a reflective vest. If you are towing, the blue and yellow triangles must also be attached to the front of the vehicle and at the rear of the towed vehicle, caravan or trailer. Unless your vehicle is longer than 6m you do not need to worry about the reflective signage, but you are advised to have reflective strips on the edges of the front and rear bumpers. White in the front and red at the rear. This is the same requirement for both Zambia and Zimbabwe. It also helps others to spot your vehicle, especially when tucked away in a camp site. These items and further advice can all be purchased at the AA. This law came into practice on the 8th November 2009.
This regulation defines the characteristics of advanced warning signs, reflective vests and reflective signage.
Scope of Application
- The present regulation applies to all vehicles and trailers on public or private roads, open to public traffic, and to the drivers.
- Two or three wheeled vehicles, mechanical cultivators and tractor vehicles are exempted from that required in the previous paragraph.
Characteristics of Advanced Warning Signs
- Advanced warning signs take the form of equilateral triangles each side of which is 500 millimeters long, with a tolerance of more or less 5 millimeters, and with external strips of not less than 50 millimeters wide, and uniformly covered in red reflective material, in accordance with Annex 1.
- The advanced warning sign must have an opening of not more than 360 millimeters on each side within the triangle.
- The warning sign must be visible from at least 100 metres when light shines on it
- The back of the warning sign must be white which must be on the three vertices of the triangle or form a border 5 millimeters wide on the edges of these.
- The surface which borders the unbroken reflective strip and the back side of the triangle must be yellow.
- The warning sign must be such that it can be erected vertically with a tolerance of no more than five degrees, and its lower border must be horizontal and between 50 and 100 millimeters from the ground.
Conservation of the Warning Sign
The sign must be maintained in such a way that the reflective surfaces are not damaged.
- All vehicles and trailers on public or private roads, open to public traffic must be equipped with a fluorescent vest with reflective stripes in accordance with the diagram provided in Annexure 2.
- It is compulsory for drivers of vehicles to wear the reflective vest in the following situations:
- When repairing a vehicle at the road;
At a road accident;
- When loading, unloading or removing cargo which has fallen onto the road or roadside.
Characteristics of the Reflective Vest
- The reflective vest must be visible in the day and at night, must be made from polyester with a front closing and side adjustments, with polyvinyl reflective strips in yellow or green, and be fluorescent.
- The reflective strips must be at least 400 millimeters wide and must be placed on the front, each side and the back.
Reflective markings must be used on all vehicles and trailers of over 10,000kg in weight or more than 6 metres long, in accordance with the diagram provided in Annex 3.
Placement of Reflective Markings
- Reflective markings must be placed on the sides and back or on the side and back edges of vehicles and trailers, in continuous or contiguous rectangular bands.
- Markings must be between a minimum of 0.25m and 1.5m from the ground and may be extended up to 2.1m.
- Reflective markings must permit the total identification of the vehicle or at least 80% or its length or width.
Characteristics of Reflective Markings
- Reflective markings must be made from reflective material and be yellow.
- Reflective markings must be at least 50 millimeters wide, their length depending on whether or not they are continuous.
- The distance separating markings which are not continuous must be no more than 80% of their length.
- Infraction of that provided in Articles 5 and 7 of this regulation is punishable by a fine of 1,000Mt
- The use of warning signals, reflective vests or reflective markings which are not in accordance with that required in this regulation is punishable by a fine of 500Mt.
- The fine provided in the previous paragraph shall also be applied to anyone using a warning sign which is in a poor state or which has incomplete or damaged reflective areas, or anyone using a reflective vest not of the type required under this regulation.